If you plan to maximize your workout in boxing, you will need to have a good pair of boxing gloves. The chances that you will injure your hands and wrists are so high when you use low quality boxing gloves when training. Here are some tips to help you pick the right boxing gloves for you.
- Choose between synthetic type gloves or leather type gloves. Many people choose the leather type since it lasts longer compared to the synthetic type of gloves.
- For people who train in boxing for simple workout purposes, they choose velcro gloves. If you are being serious about your training, you should choose the lace-up type so that the gloves fit really well your hands.
- Use handwraps before putting on the gloves. The handwraps add protection to your hands and will be bulky when you fit on the glove. If your gloves are too small when you are already wearing handwraps, you will feel uncomfortable using it. Typically, men pick large gloves while women pick medium gloves so that there will be enough space even after you already worn handwraps.
- Give your gloves a dry run. The average weights of boxing gloves are 12oz, 14oz, and 16oz. Professional fighters pick gloves weighing 10oz when fighting and they choose heavier gloves when training to protect their hands. You can test the weight of the boxing gloves by wearing it and doing shadow boxing. Throw punches at chest level. If the gloves are too heavy for you, they are not a good pair.
- Pick gloves with a thumb-lock. New gloves that are heavy have this and this protects your from thumb injuries.
- Bring your gloves to the gym and test them out. You should make sure that your hands do not get numb or swell too much after training.